Thursday, January 04, 2007

Is Opportunity Really Knocking?

I've been given an AMAZING opportunity to go to Guyana, South America to build a church in the "jungle". How awesome would that be?

The church has offered to cover some of the costs, not all of them, but enough to make it to where I'll be able to afford it without going completely broke. Last year there was a group of about 7 or 8 people from out congregation going, so I figured that would the same this year. I was completely wrong. So far, I'm the only one from the congregation that is showing interest in going. Here lies my delimma...Do I stay or do I go???

I would be meeting up with a group of people from another church, so I wouldn't be completely alone on this journey, but knowing me, I would feel very alone.
I talked with a woman from the congregation that has journeyed down there three times and all she keeps saying is to jump at this opportunity. She's 75 right now and her kids don't think it's a good idea at her age to go, or else she would already be there. She feels such a connection down there. For her, it was a life changing experience. Of course it is...you're making a difference for people who really don't have anything.

I've traveled by myself plenty times, so I'm not really worried about the flying and travelling part. But going to a whole new COUNTRY!!!! That's a big deal. I've never been out of the United States. I don't know if I want my first time out to be by myself.

Anyways... I need to make a decision soon. Apparently by Sunday or Monday, which only gives me a couple of days. So all I'm asking for is some prayers for a decision to be made...or advice or just words to put me at ease. Or if you're really feeling generous...COME WITH ME!!!

1 comment:

Thister said...

I agree with brinney. If you're that enthusiastic about it and you really want to go, then go for it. Just make sure you've fully assessed the situation. It sounds like a great experience nonetheless.