Monday, November 06, 2006

Where's the Line?

Yesterday was another busy Sunday here at work. We had our annual Spaghetti lunch that the Senior High Youth put on. It was a huge success and everything ran very smoothly. It just makes for a busy/tiring day. Which is fine. I did a little mingling while everyone was eating to thank everyone for their support. I stopped at a table with a two year old boy. Now this little one is adorable. He always gives me hugs and runs with me, we have a great time. Well, I was going to leave the table and so I said "bye bye" and he said "bye bye" and gave me a hug and then he wanted to give me a kiss. Obviously his parents and sisters kiss him on the lips like most families do, and so he's learned that that is where you kiss people. My question is, is that OK for me to do? That may sound weird because he's a baby...but as a youth worker, is there a line? I'm not sure. I just kind of laughed and turned my head and said bye again...I just didn't know how to handle that. Is it OK if I kiss other peoples babies on the lips??? I don't know.

I'm also getting really stressed about the whole respect factor here at work. I've been here for 2 years and 8 months and my high school kids still look at me like another high schooler. It really gets to me sometimes. There are times when I ask them to do something or be quiet while I'm talking and apparently to them they hear "yes, have a conversation with your friends that is unrelated to what I'm saying." I absolutely HATE to yell, but I've found myself raising my voice pretty frequently lately, and that makes me sad. I don't like having to do that. I don't like that 'Becky.' All I'm asking for is a little respect, and it's only for a couple hours a week. I don't think that's too much to hope for. Is it?

I finally bought my plane ticket to South Carolina and so my trip to see my favorite girl is official!! I'm so excited to finally get to see Lauren. It will be about 6 months since I last saw her from when I do get to see her and I'm stoked!! Yes, I said stoked!! Saturday night I spent the evening getting my mp3 player loaded with new CD's, so that my plane ride will be more enjoyable. I'm just getting so excited!!

OK...back to work.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Yay!!! I'm so excited to see you!! :) :)

Pastor Lori said...

Becky,
I tend to revert to yelling pretty quickly, too, and it never works. I'm a small person, and even at 41 I sometimes get "you look like you should BE in confirmation, not TEACHING it!" --So, get used to it!

My son had a teacher that didn't yell--she just got excited. She'd say, "Boys and girls, come here! quick! Look at this! Sit down on your line, and I'll show you something" Now, granted, they were 2nd graders, but I admired her ability to get their attention without getting condescending or yelling or demanding. Perhaps we can translate that attitude to teenagers.

or maybe not. Suerte!

PL