Monday, October 16, 2006

Cacahuete Festival

The 2nd weekend in October is dedicated to the Peanut Festival in Floresville Texas. Why a "Peanut" festival you ask...well, Floresville just so happens to be the Peanut Capitol of Texas. I know, that's a big deal. Of course, this is the weekend when college students come home, or people that moved away come back for a visit because they know everyone will be in town. Small town fun! It runs from Friday afternoon until late Saturday night.

I went out with my brother for a little while on Friday evening and ran into some old friends and family. You'll always run into someone you know. It really isn't that exciting, so Daniel and I went to Roper's. The only decent bar in town. We ran into our next door neighbor there. Our families have lived next door to each other for, I would say, about 27 years. They just so happen to be my God-Parents. My God Mother was killed by a drunk driver last November and it was a pretty rough ordeal. They had lost their 21 year old son to Asthma when I was really young and now this. The poor family has been through more, but that's none of your business. It just a different situation. Guy, my God Father, must have been there by himself, but knew the men around him. We got to chit-chatting for a little bit and he bought my brother and I a drink. Then we sort of went our seperate ways. I went back to talk a little more, but he kept saying how much he missed his wife and how he thinks about her every day and how he wished she was here to see me (it had been a while since I had seen the both of them). It was just a really emotional encounter. I never have the right words to comfort someone like that. I mean, they had been married for over 30 years and now she's gone. What do I know about any of that? I just hugged him and told him how good it was to see him out and about. Although a bar really isn't the place he should be out at, but still. I guess it's better to be out socially than stuck in a big house by yourself. All in all, I'm really glad that I ran into him.

Even after a late night, I got up to go to the parade the next morning. That was a little tougher than I expected. We always meet up with my uncle in the usual spot in front of the electric company. I got to see my cousin Sarah, that I dont' get to see that much. Plus some more of my Dad's side of the family. What a great weekend.

Narrowing down what I want to do with my future, which I'm a little excited about. Hopefully everything will work out the way I want it to.

No comments: