Monday, January 16, 2006

Futures

I've been thinking about the future a lot lately. Like, what does it have in store for me, what direction should I be going in, where will I be in two year?
I'll be a quarter century old in a couple years, and I look at my life, and I think I've accomplished a good amount of things. Good friends, finished college early, I have a good job, I can support myself. Are things still going to be the same in a couple years. The plan is to be married and have babies sometime before I'm 30...that only gives me 7 years. Then what? Then I have to stay in one place. Not that I move around a lot right now, but I could if I wanted to. I haven't really lived in the same place for a more than a couple years since high school. I like getting to be free and have options. Not that I always jump on them, but it's nice to know they're there.

I want to keep having those options. Move if I ever wanted to. Get a different job if I wanted to. I don't know. It's just going to be weird thinking that soon I'll have to "settle down". I know it will be awesome once I do, but right now it's weird to think about. My parents have lived in the same house for over 27 years, and my dad has been going to his same for job for over 20. It sounds lame, but their happy. I just can't imagine myself doing that. But I guess one day I will. I especially see it after this weekend. I have a friend from college that lives in Round Rock who is my age that I visited. She's been married for a while and already have a 4 month old daughter. My best friend from back home was also there and she's been married a while and 6 months pregnant. I felt so awkward sitting there, we were all grown up. What happened? It's just weird to see it all happening right in front of my face. Sometimes I just don't want to be a grown up and I want someone to take care of me...but then again, I love the independance of not having to worry about anyone but myself....

"I, I always could count on futures
That things would look up, and they look up
Why is it so hard to find balance
Between living decent and the cold and real
Hey now, what is it you think you see?"
-Jimmy Eat World

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Good song lyrics choice! :) I know what you mean--I've been thinking about this stuff lately, too. Who knows what lies ahead?? I feel like I'm always looking for something new, a next step, whatever. Who knows what lies ahead??

Lauren said...

ha ha, I said, "Who knows what lies ahead?" twice. Just now noticed that. Nerd.