Friday, December 09, 2005

A Few Questions

A couple of things that I have been pondering the past couple of days...
1. How much do I need new tires?
2. How much do I love my Saturn?

3. How do you drive on ice?


Question 1: I need new tires pretty bad. My dad has told me this that past three times I've seen him...which is over a period of a couple of months. I have no traction what so ever...especially when it comes to driving on ice, and as I was staring at the oncoming traffic on I35 it became very clear that I will very soon need new tires if I can't even go straight on a straight road....which brings me to my question number 2...

Question 2: Saturn has these dent resistant panels that it's made of. One of the most cleve inventions EVER. After slipping and sliding all over I35 with no control whatsoever of my vehicle I decided that going into Austin on Wednesday night was a bad idea. Well...exiting was a bad idea...just turning your wheel slightly makes the car go in all sorts of directions. I noticed myself going to the right, not at a slight 2 degree angle that normal cars go when exiting, but full on 90 degree angle headed straight for the grass...but oh no...I kept sliding more to where I couldn't stop at all and guess what stopped me...the guardrail. I head on smashed right into that guardrail. It was in such gracefulness that I was actually thinking to myself "Oh my gosh I'm headed straight for that guardrail, I can't turn my car at all so I'll just brace myself for the worst" BAM!! I hit it. I almost cried it shook me up a little. But since it was 24 degrees outside I said screw it, and I somehow got my car straightened out to get on the access road to turn around. Which wasn't much safer. I slid off of the road a couple times anyways. You seriously have no control whatsoever when it comes to driving on ice. Scariest thing I have ever had to do.
I checked my vehicle when I got home that night...not a scratch on it. I bent the license plate and that was the only damage. Actually I almost sliced it because it's bent really bad, I must have hit it right on the edge of the guardrail. So this week I am very thankful for dent resistand door panels and frames from Saturn because that would have been a bitch to repair.

Question 3: You may be wondering, how should you drive if your back tires start to slide out to the ride side of the vehicle? Well, you should always try and keep your vehicle straight. So turn your wheel to the right so that you keep your vehicle straigh so you keep your vehicle in a smaller area. I called my cousin Brian after I was making circles on the interstate because he was the one I was going to see in Austin. He's a state trooper and was in town for some classes. Well he let me know that you should always try and keep your vehicle going straight no matter what. So if you ever find yourself in that situations...keep that in mind.

"Ohh Boy you looking like you like what you see
Won't you come over check up on it, I'm gone let you work up on it
Ladies let em check up on it, watch it while he check up on it
Dip it, pop it, twork it, stop it, check on me tonight"
-Beyonce

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Oh my gosh, girl! That sounds scary!! I'm glad you're okay. I think it's best we didn't try to hang out that night. . .

Nice song lyrics, by the way. :)

Rob West said...

I used to love driving on ice, back when I delivered pizzas. In Cary, NC, it is a richy yuppie town and when it snows, no one goes out and they all order pizzas. That's when I owned the city. I used to make U-turns on purpose because it was fun. There were no other cars to run into, and I wasn't going very fast. Also, you get tons of tips. IT was good times.

Of course, I hit the curb more than a few times. Cracked a few hubcaps. But that's the price you pay for a little fun!