Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Instructions for Life

This is what the Dalai Lama had to say for 2005 and I thought they were all great.

1. Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk
2. When you lose, don't lose the lesson
3. Follow the three R's
Respect for self
Respect for other's
Responsibility for all your actions
4. Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck
5. Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly
6. Don't let a little dispute injure a great relationship
7. When you realize you've made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it
8. Spend some time alone every day
9. Open arms change, but don't let go of your values
10. Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer
11. Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get old and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time
12. A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life
13. In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don't bring up the past
14. Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality
15. Be gentle with the earth
16. Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.
17. Remember that the best relationship is one in where the love for each other exceeds your need for each other
18. Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it
19. Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon

Some are little things and some are big things, but they all mean so much.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Commentary:

#4--oh, how very true this is. When I look back on my life and what I thought I wanted. . .wow. I'm thankful that there's Someone who knows better.

#8--I need to do this more.

#16--one of my goals!

#17--I've learned in the past year that I don't NEED anyone. Sure, I used to give lip service to that, but deep down, I think I still thought I needed someone to make me happy. I think the scale of need and love gradually tipped more towards need in my past relationships. I look forward to it being the other way around.

Rob West said...

3) Absolutely. That's the one that's in the most danger right now.

4)This sounds familiar. Like I was talking to someone about it juuust recently...

5) This one has to be my favorite! It's so true. So many people mess up not from breaking the rules, but just from breaking them the wrong way. There's follwong the rules, there is breaking them properly, and there is breaking them badly. Thank you Dalai Lama.

7) This is part of what it means to "be a man". I was taught this at a young age.

8) What? When will I EVER do that??

11) This Dalai Lama kicks ass. I don't intend to go through life with no regrets, but I definitely intend to look back and love what I see. I have heard stories, seen movies and TV, read books, and I honestly think that my own memory is the most entertaining thing I know of.

12) Yup. It's important to rmember that your job is not who you are. But your family is.

14) couldn't agree more. See current post on Wubbie's blog.

16)I don't but dammit, I oughta.

17) This one is probably as close as you can get to the Secret of Life.

19) I don't know about cooking...