Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Practice What You Preach

Every Sunday I each of my devotions or Bible Studies has to do with giving your problems to God and He will take care of you. God is always there with you through thick and thin, and therefore if you have a problem, He is guiding your steps.

This past Sunday we read the story of David and Goliath (1 Samuel 17) and how this little boy went up against this HUGE giant of a man. The whole Israeli army had just stood around for 40 days while this Philistine man challenged them. Then this silly little boy stumbles upon the situation and is like..."Sure, I'll fight him. He may have a spear and a shield, but I have God on my side." Simple, huh? Who thinks that way?

We then talked about what the "Goliath's" are in our life...school, friends, jobs, parents, etc. And that if we put our faith and trust in God, we are able to face these battles with no problems. Every Sunday I feel like I'm repeating myself and saying: God is always with you. Put your trust in God and He will take care of you. Something bothering you? Just pray....almost as if I am just a broken record.

But as soon as I have a difficult time, or my job is stressing me out or I'm trying to make a decision about what to do with my life I don't know what to do. How silly is that. I feel like I at least have some kind of answer when my youth come to me...but when I try and ask myself these same questions, I don't know what to do. I guess I know what to do, but it's not always the first thing that pops into my head. But it should be. I want my immediate reaction to a problem to be to pray about it...but somehow that always seems like one of the last things I end up doing. If I call my mom when something is on my mind that is the first thing she ask's me: Did you pray about it?...well, no...actually I didn't pray about it mom, that's why I'm calling you for advise.
I was, and actually still am, the person people go to for relationship advice. Me, of ALL people they choose, me. I can preach my little heart out about how they should act and what they should say and build them up...but there is no way in Hell that I can do the same for me. I really don't like that about me.

I find I have much more strength and courage after a Bible Study or Devotion, but I really wish I had that strength all of the time. That's one thing that really challenges me.

I don't want to be this fake person that tells my high school group to go to God when they have a challenge or a problem if I can't even do it. You know what I mean. This is just weighing on me because I want to be the person who acts out their life the way they show they act out their life. I'm not a bad person, I just think I want to be better about how I handle situations.

There are so many decisions that are coming up in my life with spring break and summer and fall all coming at me, I just want to know that I'll be making the right moves and doing what I need to be doing and what God wants me to be doing.

With all that said:
Happy Single's Awareness Day!!!

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Practically all of my lessons and discussions sound great while I'm "preaching," and yet I don't even think about my own advice once a problem hits me. Weird. And annoying. I guess that means we're pretty professional. But the hard part with this job is that our profession mixes with our faith. So we have something very deep and personal to us as our daily WORK. That's hard to blend together.

Anyway, it's definitely hard to practice what we preach. We shouldn't beat ourselves up for it. And sometimes what we preach is perfect for high schoolers' lives, but not for ours. And that's okay.

Love!