Sunday, November 06, 2005

And God saw that it was Good...

Just got back from my weekend retreat with my Middle Schooler's. What a weekend. It was really great. It was nice to get away for a while and just be in Natures. Which was what the retreat was about...Nature and God's Creation. It was nice.

Plus, I got to see some great people that I don't get to see that often. I guess now, they are all my colleagues. Which is great...because they're my friends, plus we get to work together at times. Anyways...they're people that always make me smile when I see them. Maybe it's because I only get to see them every few months that it makes me happy to see them, and if I saw them more often, it wouldn't make me as happy. Whatever, it doesn't matter.

I ran into my old boss. I worked at this summer camp where the retreat was held and he is not the Executive Director. So we get to see each other pretty often and have become friends. Our Boss and Employee relationship is past and we are now friends. It's great. Anyways...he pulled me aside and was like we really need to talk. So we did.

He majored in Social Work and is just great with people. The first thing he told me was that he is great at reading people, which he is, and he noticed that I'm not "Becky" anymore. I was astonished. Someone that I don't see on a regular basis could tell that there was something wrong with me. So we sat outside and I just cried and spilled my little heart out. He had a few suggestions about what to do, so I was glad to have someone notice and care. Not that no one cares, but with my job, I'm the listener and I give the advice. I'm not always up for talking about myself and my problems. So it was nice to have someone listen and give me advice. We'll see what happens...
I'm not going to get into detail because some is personal...but I'm excited to see a change in myself.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

I missed you. Let's do Starbucks this week. I'm headed to Chrysalis this weeekend--sounds like it was a good retreat? It's weird that I'll be there with my kids in a few days. . . it feels like forever since I've seen 'em. And my birthday while I'm there. . .sadness. But I'm sure it'll be (somewhat) fun. :) Love you lots.

Richard said...

Glad to hear someone was there for you when you needed them. I mean in person. I hope it all works out. As always we are here if you need us.
In His Love,
Rico

Rob West said...

Twinkles,

You remind me of myself in the respect that, while outwardly you try to appear strong and capable and independent (which you probably are), deep inside you are extremely sensitive and very very caring.
And of course, you combine sensitivity/caring with the desire to be strong and capable, you get someone who inevitably tries to carry the weight of the world on her shoulders.
Is this you? Because it's me. I'm a little too sensitive for my own good, a lot of the time. I make other people's problems my own, but because I want to be Mr. Strong Guy, I want to be the one who solves all the problems for everyone.
I don't know if you know this, but in professional psychiatry/psychology, all counselors are required by their job to see counselors themselves, for that very reason. Everyone needs a shoulder to lean on.
I know it's not the same, but your little Online Family ("The Swankytown Swingers" if you will) is here for you!

Mwah,
Wubbie

Becky said...

Swanks,
We must me two peas from the same pod.
I love solving problems and giving advice. But I just can't seem to take my own advice at times.
I'm a rock. I do like talking about myself at times, but I can really only do that and really open up around certain people. I don't just tell my thoughts to any ol' person.

Thanks for being so awesome.

Twinks