Tuesday, November 01, 2005

What's going on?

I had a great Halloween. I've never gotten into the whole Halloween scene, and this year, again, I didn't. But I got to hang out with an old friend from High School. Just found out he lives about 20 minutes away. So we ate some pizza, drank some beer, handed out candy, threw some darts, listened to music and watched TV. Yes, there was catching up through out the whole night because we hadn't seen each other in years. Lots of years. It was nice. Nice to be around familiar people. But we have more of a histoty since we went to High school together and lived in the same subdivision, so there's a comfort level when your around people you know. Relaxing in a way because you don't have to try to "fit" in because you already know them.
Anyways...I had a good time. But that's not what's on my mind...

I have been having these awful nightmare recently. It's just weird because I used to never have scary dreams, but for about a month, every now and then I have these nightmares. Nightmares where I wake up shaking like crazy, and scared out of my mind. Last night I woke up screaming...actually screaming. Then it's hard to go back to sleep. Plus, I live by myself so it's not like I can just crawl into bed with a roommate, but I have to lay there shaking until I fall back asleep.
I know there's more too it, but I don't want to give out so many more details. I have assumptions of what I think is going on...it's just starting to freak me out.

I know when I'm dreaming...it's weird, I know that I'm sleeping and I know nothing's happening, but I'm always trying to wake myself up, and I can't. There's more to that too...but it's just getting more and more frequent to the extent where I'm scared to fall asleep. Maybe I just need to start having sleep overs so that I won't have to go threw them alone.
I've been taking sleeping pills at times, but I don't want to get hooked on those. Those just give me a peaceful night sleep and at least let me fall asleep right away if I wake up from a dream. Anyways...just pray that they stop because I'm getting a little scared.

2 comments:

Richard said...

You know. It is really more common than you think. I catch myself having a dream, and in my dream I will tell myself to open my eyes. Of course my body just thinks it's part of the dream, and I don't wake up, most of the time. If it is a really bad one, and I do wake up, I am able to go back to sleep again. However, my dream usually picks up where it left off. That just sucks. I realize you don't want to get into detail, and I don't blame you. There's only so much you want the world to know. As always, if you want to talk about it let me know. Dreams can be a very interesting subject. I remember as a kid (about 10 or 11), I had a dream that I was Mario off of the Nintendo game, Super Mario Bros. I was fighting the Evil King Koopa. I was jumping over him and running all over the place (in my dream of course). When I woke up from it, my legs were tired and I was exhausted. I can only imagine what I looked like. That could be a funny sight. Well, I hope you work this out. Good luck to you. I have heard that whatever you eat for supper can affect your dreams. It couldn't hurt to monitor that next time, and see if you can find a trend. My wife claims to dream about snakes after eating Ice Cream. It's worth looking in to, especially, if it is troubling you. Talk to you soon.
Rico

Rob West said...

Becky,

Mr. Know-it-all here for you! I know nightmares suck. I don't have them often, but when I do, I always think, man, I forgot how much these suck. Hopefully some of this will be at least a little helpful to you.

First of all, sleeping pills are not usually that good for you, and not just the addiction thing. they help you to fall asleep, but once you're asleep, you tend to get a light sleep that is not very restful, and wake up feeling groggy. It's kinda stupid, but sleeping pills actually tend to make you have worse sleep. There's even a chance that taking the pills causes you to have such vivid dreams. Your mind is actually MORE active during sleep when you take sleeping pills than it would be if you were experience normal, non-drug sleep. (And I'm not trying to sound preachy, there's a lot of research that backs this up! I studied it in college when I studied psychology.)

Exercise can help you sleep a lot better, too. Again, I know it sounds like a bunch of crap, and no one likes hearing "excercise more!", but I thought so too until I tried it! It also helps you to feel less stressed, and stress is another factor that is known to cause nightmares.

Lastly (and this part is cool), do you know what "lucid dreaming" is?
It sounds like you're halfway there. Lucid dreaming is when you know you're dreaming, so you just take over. I used to do it as a kid, but I haven't been able to in years. It usually doesn't work to try to wake up. What you have to do is, once you realize you're dreaming, there are 2 conclusions that go with it: 1) None of this is real, and 2)it's my imagination, which means I call the shots. I can do whatever I want! So in a nightmare, you can go, wait a minute, I'm dreaming. I'm not really getting chased by a bear! In fact, screw this, this sucks... I can fly! And off you go.
Here's a little article about it if you're interested:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/050805.html

Hope this helps!

(PS- I linked to you, and I came up with something a lot better then that "ew" one yesterday)