Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Who Am I?

I just got off the phone with one of my high school girls...we had like a 2 hour conversation about boyfriends and relationships and all that drama.
I am so good at giving advice and listening to problems and solving them. Who am I to give out all that advice and then not even be able to listen to myself? I am the last person to be talking about fixing a relationship when I can't even keep a guy interested in me for over a couple months. Seriously, I am great at telling people what I think they need to do, but for me to follow my own advice is just absurd. But maybe I'll be brave and say what I think needs to be said.

Matt called yesterday afternoon! I don't want to get excited, but I'm glad he still calls. It was a short one because it started storming on him while he was driving to Alabama. But I couldn't get any of the words out because I'm confused. For all you guys that read this blog...I want to ask him all kinds of questions about what changed his mind about us, and why he said somethings and then just dropped his feelings. Is it worth asking questions like that? I don't want to get annoying to him, but I'm just so curious. I want to know what he was thinking. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know if that is something that you think is ok for me to do because I really just don't know. Thanks.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

okay, I'm not a guy, but I'm going to answer anyway based on my knowledge of guys AND us girls: Don't ask him those questions. Think about it: are you really going to be satisfied with his answers? Every time I ask those questions, I just keep coming up with more and more questions when it would've been easier to drop it and NOT know his answer. Because his answer is usually not what I wanted to hear, anyway. Or he can't explain himself. Or there's no rationale behind it whatsoever--it just happened. I honestly think that you'll dig yourself into deeper hurt and pick at a wound that you just need to let alone. You will never feel like he answered your questions to your satisfaction. You'll just keep wondering if you don't let it go.

but this is just what I think. . .we'll talk tonight. I'm glad he called you and that you guys are still friends.

Richard said...

Well, I'll start out by saying that it's okay to give advice when needed. It doesn't have to be working for you. You may know what needs to be done, but not be able to do it. All you are giving is suggestions. Some work and some don't.
As far as asking Matt, I agreeably disagree with Lauren and Dustin. I mean. Questions aren't always bad. I was always told that the dumb question is the one that goes unasked. People ask things that they want to know. However, he (or she) who asks questions cannot avoid the answers. First I think you have to ask yourself a few questions. "Why is he calling?", for starters. I mean he already said he probably wouldn't date you. Is he trying to keep a friendship or is he just keeping you within reach in case he needs something? Both are possible, but only one is respectable. Can you trust his answers? He already gave you what sounded like a run-around.
Is he gonna do the same now? He pretty much put his feelings on the table, when he mentioned your supposed differences. Was he faking those feelings or the ones at the beginning? I can't see a gray area here. It's either black or white. He has given 2 different answers. Which one was true? It can't be both. Then ask yourself about your feelings. Are you hurting, right now? Is it unbearable? Are you willing to handle more of the same, if it goes bad? One thing that I feel you need to do is no matter which road you take (asking or not asking), you need to stick to it. If you have questions, and you are going to ask, ask them all. Go ahead and get it over with. Lauren was right. Questions generate questions. When you ask these questions, it leaves room then to question the answer given. "Why?" becomes your best friend.
Becky, I know that the decision is totally yours, and you will do what you think is best, but just be careful. We shouldn't open doors we are not willing to go through. It's kinda like turning down a one-way street. Once you turn, there's no telling how far you have to go before you can turn around. I think that one good thing about the whole thing is that you have friends around you (physical as well as virtual) that are willing to walk throuh those doors with you. Everything WILL work out for the better. It may not be how you wanted it to orhow you imagined, but all things work out for the better for those who trust. Let us know, if you need anything. Talk to you later.