Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Got those Mom's

This morning as I was taking a shower I was thinking about how I impress all these mom's. I remember in high school there was a lady from Falls City that just wanted me to marry her son. Don't get me wrong, I totally had a crush on him and he was my first kiss and all, but she was already talking like this while I was like 15. Come on. Then when I move to Georgetown I have another mom that just desperately wants me to marry her son as well because I would be perfect for him...Again...great guy, totally hot, in a band, good christian...I would marry him in a heartbeat, but it's another one-way road. Then this past weekend at Becca's wedding, her mother says to me, "well the next wedding is going to be you and Eric (Becca's brother). I've been waiting for that day." Now that one was out of the blue. But then, Becca's aunt says "no, she should marry my son because I already have someone for Eric." OK, her son is like 19, so that's not going to happen.

OK...my point is, why am I so attractive to these mother's who want me in their family so bad, but can't seem to get any guy to think the same way? I'm just getting a little irritated at that because they think I'm, in some perspectives, "perfect" for their sons. Why can't I get those boys to think like that?

So then I was thinking about other guys throughout my life...who I attract, who I'm attracted to and so on.
So far the people that have been attracted to me have been either WAY TOO old (like a high school baseball coach and a senior in high school) or a little young for my taste (fresh out of high school). They've also, been guys that are in committed relationships. I guess they can't be too committed if they want to play "kissy-face" with someone else though. But then I keep thinking...well, that's better for me because I don't have to be the one that has anything to worry about.
I think I look for guys that wouldn't be attracted to me, or that are in a relationship because that way there is no risk for me and I won't have to worry about getting hurt. Although, what I'm really doing is hurting myself because I set myself up for disappointment. Oh well.

What is it with me and guys? Does everyone have to go through all this?

3 comments:

Lauren said...

interesting comments, dustin. i agree. and becky, i think we ALL go thru this. trust me, i'm going thru it, too, as you well know. it's funny that someday we'll look back and laugh at all the questions we shouted up to God during this crazy time in life. :)

Becky said...

Brinney...you are very wise for you age. I'm sure you've heard that before. I thank God that He has put you in my life. You are a great example to others and to me as well.

Richard said...

Dustin, great illustration. Brinney, there goes that wisdom again. Lauren, great encouragement. You are all great friends. Becky is very lucky to have you.

I had a rather large comment, but my computer locked up and it didn't post. Maybe that was a sign. I doubt it, but maybe. Either way, this comment won't be long. Mothers try their best to solve and plan out the futures of their children with good intentions. However, they may not know best, when it comes to their relationships. I mean, if we don't know what is best for our own relationships at times, what makes them think they know. Granted, sometimes they are right, but people say Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. Don't let mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, or any other family member try to tell you who is best for you. Make your own choices.

You said guys don't think the same way as these mothers, but have you ever asked them? Maybe they are just scared. Maybe they don't think they a good enough. You really never know. Don't give up. Things happen in His time not ours. Keep your head up. Until next time.