Tuesday, August 30, 2005

How do you know?

The past couple weeks I've really been contemplating what I should be doing with my life. Not just right now, but also in the future.

The people that Lauren and I met in Key West all had college degrees and just decided that since they didn't know what they wanted to do with their lives, they would just move to the Keys for a while and just LIVE and work. How awesome to be able to just pick up and leave.

As for me I graduated college early, got a salary paid job, medical and dental insurance, FICA, plus, I set up my own additional retirement plan. This was all while I was 21. What kind of sane 21 year old does something like that? I was talking with my neighbor about life yesterday and if I was missing out on anything. How many people my age are even out of college? I look at what I have done and I am so proud of myself and I know that when I'm older I'm going to appreciate everything that I have done, espcially that I have a couple retirement plans so that hopefully I will be able to retire when the time comes. BUT...I am still so young. Shouldn't I be living and seeing the world and doing all this exciting stuff now before I settle down?

I don't know what life is supposed to be lie. One side of me wants to just travel around and get odd jobs wherever I land...but then the other side of me is thinking: Becky you have it so awesome right now and are in a secure position that people older that you are wanting what you have right now.

How am I supposed to know what I should be doing??

"These are my thoughts written down on paper,
It's my only savior,
From not saying what I want to say,
These are the thoughts that are on my mind,
Moments that haven't yet been defined,
And I don't know if you could ever understand,
These are the things I can't say when were alone."
-NFG

2 comments:

Lauren said...

It IS weird, I agree. Hard to know where we're supposed to be. I would miss you if you left town, though. :( Keep praying about it and something may pop up that interests you more than where you're at now. But at the same time, there might be more to do where you are. . .

Richard said...

Most of us spent our whole lives wondering what we should be doing with it. I have contemplated going back to school to get an actual degree, but I can't seem to get my head into the whole homework thing. I feel that with the kids, I already do more homework than I want to. I usually help with Math, which I love, but to HAVE to do it isn't the same. I attended Miami-Dade Community College back in 1996. I only completed 1 semester, because I moved back to TN. I know how important it is to go, and want my kids to go, but am not much of an example there, am I? However, I was able to get a descent job with good pay, insurance, FICA, 401K, and PTO. Could I do better? I'm sure I could. The only problem is that I am allergic to change. I hate to start over.

You seem to have come a long way, and you SHOULD be proud. All too often people go to college, and once they get out, they get a job doing something that is nowhere near what their major was. BUT, just having the degree is a plus. Businesses see that. It tells them that you are teachable.

You have already set up things for your retirement? That is great. I worked with a man that was a retired engineer. He had to go bacj to work, because the stock market took all he had. He worked here for over a year and a half as a temp, and then got laid off. He is in his 60's. Take care of those things early.

I'll tell you from experience, if you get an opportunity to see the world, do it. My dad was in the Army, so we travelled a lot. I lived in Germany for 5 years. I also visited Spain several times. My wife, on the other hand, hadn't seen more than 3 or 4 states. There's a lot of world to be seen. It is an experience you will never forget. Well, once again, I have wasted enough of your time. I hope to hear from you soon. take care of you.

Richard